Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A sign of the times...


For the last few weeks now it seems that my own personal horoscopes has been setting me up for some disappointment. Although it has successfully promised success at work and in my personal life, and extolled the virtues of patience and humility while these blessings come to fruition. If the early stargazers knew anything about the variations of Cancarian they would realize that patience in the promise of reward is not an attribute that characterizes our often stubborn, type-A personalities.


I'm making my way though Gay Astrology by Michael Yawney (I thought it best that after such a earlier rant and large amount of quotation of older sources that it was about time that I explored more modern takes on Gay astrology as well as review the given theories) and I must admit that in a partial defiance of all I said that I have never felt more closely defined by my primary sun sign of Cancer.

Sometime ago I noticed that gay men seem to be more adherent to the principles and practices of astrology than others, something that has always intrigued me. For all around our world, our country, our family, even with our government we seem to be guided by social and interpersonal influences to a predetermined particular religion or path; but the zodiac is all encompassing and quite arbitrary. It requires no initiation to be an Capricorn, no special ceremony to declare ourselves a Sagittarius, it’s as simple as the range of dates your birth falls on and yet as complicated as the way the stars aligned at that special time to determine what course our fate would travel and our personality would develop.

So do we gays love the inclusiveness, the idea that our star sign, like our sexuality, was gifted at birth, another trait out of our control? Or the fact that its most often used system of belief not only fails to dominies our sexual behaviour, but also doesn’t bother to overtly state or even consider that we are to be accepted?

In my earlier collage days a strong willed Taurus house mate could tell a Leo before they ever share their sign with him, his resentment for these late summer birthday celebrators runs so deep. I myself too on occasion sometimes shudder when I discover a boy I’m interested in shares the sun sign of certain exes. I may even, like many others out there think better of allowing the relationship to continue without some serious review.
Debating as we all do in the trusting of a greater force or the denial of there possibility, for trusting in something does not mean one remains blind to the pondering's that it is all our minds, and in saying that the debating of the credibility, despite years of example of the stars really dictate our fate is something I find grounding – like a spinning compass the stars direct, but we alone choose the path, and as a astrologer and follower of the ways of astrology it is all to easy to forget that people are more then the titles we give them.
In slow accordance to exploring the book I still hadn’t recompiled a list of my best lovers and cross-referenced with their particular sign (as although I have a deep seated passion for Astrology, when it comes to my personal life I have decided that I would rather explore openly the possibilities of others as individuals rather then begin my own process of preempting there motions, I've being there once and to be honest it's quite addictive and while it can provide a very informative and reliable platform for information allowing a passion to consume is rarely in benefit of the art itself) but from what I can remember I wasn't at all surprised of the similarities emerging.
For now I recall it was a nasty Sagittarius that took my virginity, a slippery Pisces who first captured my imagination, the forward Taurus who first took my breath away in bed, and the proud Leo who first stole my heart. Each as different as his sign, and I still can’t help but wonder what each says about my sexual appetite.

Like always (for some things may never change) I still don’t think Gay Astrology or any of the books on astrology can answer this in definitively for me, for what astrology teach us is about ourselves, our love lives, our passion, our essence in perpetual motion and that the stars are constantly changing.

One night Mars may rise in Venus’s house and the next he’s going down on Uranus. Our many loves and lovers may be born under the house of Saturn or the banner of fall, but it is up to us to listen to own inner astrologer and chart our course for what makes us feel ecstatic.

While listening to and interpellating the flow of a sign is of great importance in making yourself aware of the possibilities ahead, they do not always limit or define the situation – as they are simply not meant to, and while horoscopes and natal charts have being in recent times moved to the entertainment section, there link with the deeply mysterious and wildly divine divinational process remains constant and a willing bedfellow for anyone willing to explore there place in the living world.

“What’s your sign?” is a pick-up line that is in recent times seeing a sort of resurgence, well at least in the life of my friends. And although we may not always be happy with the response, it is best to try to keep an open mind, just like that the way stars may change, the planets realign and you can find yourself in heavenly bliss.

It may fade when the stars disappear with the sun, but as long as the universe continues to shift and adjust, our possibilities for love and lust remain as endless as the skies above. And that’s something you could never say about a fortune cookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment